The American Historical Association
The Premio Del Rey
The American Historical Association awards the Premio Del Rey biennially for a distinguished book in English in the field of early Spanish history. It was endowed by a gift of Robert I. Burns S.J., from his Llull and Catalonia prizes and covers the medieval period in Spain's history and culture CE 500-1516. The general rules for submission are:
1. Books with an imprint of 2012 or 2013 are eligible for the 2014 award.
2. The terms of the prize include works on Hispanic history and culture, including the Islamic and Jewish communities of Medieval Spain as well as early New World topics prior to 1516.
3. Only books of a high scholarly historical nature should be submitted. Research accuracy, originality, and literary merit are important factors.
4. In addition to sending a copy of each prize entry to members of the selection committee, please complete the Data Collection Form at the link below. One form must be completed for each entry. Fields marked with a blue star are required.
5. One copy of each entry must be received by each of the following committee members. Entries must be postmarked by or on MAY 15, 2014, to be considered for the 2014 competition.
Contact information for judges and a submission data collection form
will be posted by March 30.
Please Note: The deadline for submission of entries is May 15, 2014. Entries will not be returned. Recipients will be announced at the January 2-5, 2015, AHA annual meeting in New York.
IMPORTANT! EACH ENTRY MUST BE CLEARLY LABELED "Del-Rey Award Entry."
For questions, please contact the Book Prize Administrator, or write to the AHA at the following address (please note that prize entries are not mailed to the AHA; rather, to committee members):
American Historical Association, 400 A St., SE Washington, D.C. 20003-3889