James Harvey Robinson Prize
Next Award Year: 2018
The James Harvey Robinson Prize is awarded biennially for the teaching aid which has made the most outstanding contribution to the teaching and learning of history in any field for public or educational purposes. The Robinson Prize was established in 1974 by Council and first offered in 1978. It is named in honor of James Harvey Robinson (1863–1936), president of the Association in 1929 and a pioneer in new methods and content of history teaching. The winner will receive a one-year membership in the Association. See the list of past recipients.
General guidelines for submission are:
- The work should be a "teaching aid," which encompasses textbooks, source and reference materials, audiovisuals, computer-assisted instruction, and public history or museum materials. Monographs and revisions will not be considered.
- The work should have the potential to influence history education. This influence could be in the form of a model that would have wide adaptability, and/or the influence could affect teachers and students through widely taught courses.
- The work must demonstrate recent and good historical scholarship an must be well written and attractively presented.
- Only items with a copyright of 2016 or 2017 will be eligible for the 2018 award.
- Nominators must complete an online prize submission form for each entry submitted.
- One copy of each entry must be sent to each of the committee members and clearly labeled “Robinson Prize Entry.” Electronic copies may be sent only to committee members who have indicated they will accept them.
Please Note: Entries must be received by May 15, 2018, to be eligible for the 2018 competition. Entries will not be returned. Recipients will be announced on the AHA website in October 2018 and recognized during a ceremony at the January 2019 AHA annual meeting in Chicago.
For questions, please contact the Prize Administrator.
The deadline for this year’s submissions has passed. Review committee contact information and the prize submission form for the next prize year will be posted by March 31.