Listing in the Directory
The 41st edition of the Directory of History Departments, Historical Organizations, and Historians, which covers the academic year 2015–16, has been published in both a print and an online version. The next print version will be published in October 2016. The online edition is accessible throughout the year in a searchable format.
Institutions that have previously listed in the Directory can make changes to their entry online. Go to the Directory Update Page and enter your User Name and Password.
Information updated before August 1, 2016, will be included in the next print edition, but changes can be made online throughout the year. Online users can access up-to-date details on all institutions.
If you are interested in listing your department or organization in the Directory for the first time, please download and submit the appropriate forms found below under "New Institutions."
If you need help accessing your entry or have any questions, please contact editor Liz Townsend.
- The Directory is the only index of historians and history programs in North America, and the only publication of its kind for the profession.
- Over 750 US and Canadian history departments and organizations are listed each year.
- Nearly 22,000 historians are listed in the Directory, with their contact information and field of specialization.
- In addition to the historians at the listed institutions, the Directory includes information on over 7,000 unlisted historians who are members of the Association, thereby expanding its scope and utility.
- The Directory serves as a guide to historians and departments and as a promotional tool for your institution.
To cover the production costs of such a large and detailed publication, the Association charges a listing fee. This year the fee will be $175 for each listing in the Directory from a department or organization that is not an Institutional Member. Institutional members pay only $80 in addition to their annual membership fee.
Listing institutions receive one print copy of the Directory and access to the online version for one year. Please note that you should send your revised entry directly to the Directory editor; billing is handled separately.
All entries should be e-mailed to Liz Townsend. Please download and complete the appropriate form listed below and send it in with your entry.