Premio del Rey
Next Award Year: 2016
The American Historical Association awards the Premio del Rey biennially for a distinguished book in English in the field of early Spanish history. It was endowed by a gift of Robert I. Burns, SJ, from his Llull and Catalonia prizes and covers the medieval period in Spain’s history and culture CE 500–1516. See the list of past recipients. The general rules for submission are:
- The terms of the prize include works on Hispanic history and culture, including the Islamic and Jewish communities of medieval Spain as well as early New World topics prior to 1516.
- Only books of a high scholarly historical nature should be submitted. Research accuracy, originality, and literary merit are important factors.
- Books with an imprint of 2014 or 2015 are eligible for the 2016 award.
- Nominators must complete the online Data Collection Form for each book submitted.
- One copy of each entry must be sent to each of the following committee members and clearly labeled “Premio del Rey Entry.” Electronic copies may be sent to committee members who have indicated they will accept them.
Please Note: Entries must be postmarked or transmitted by May 15, 2016, to be eligible for the 2016 competition. Entries will not be returned. Recipients will be announced at the January 2017 AHA annual meeting in Denver.
For questions, please contact the Prize Administrator.
The deadline for this year’s submissions has passed.
Contact information for the next prize year will be posted by March 31.