Mosque lamp, late 13th century (before 1285); Mamluk Attributed to Egypt or Syria Glass; free blown, enameled and gilded; tooled on the pontil; H. 16 15/16 in. (43 cm) W. 29 15/16 in. (76 cm) L. 32 5/16 in. (82 cm). Gift of J. Pierpont Morgan, 1917 (17.190.985). www.metmuseum.org.
The presence of two gold crossbows and a red shield reveal that the patron who commissioned this lamp held the office of Keeper of the Bow. An inscription reads on the neck and body of the lamp: "This is one of the objects made for the mausoleum of His High Excellency 'Ala al-Din the arquebusier, may God sanctify this soul."