2014 ACLS Public Fellows Program Competition Now Open
The American Council of Learned Societies has announced its Public Fellows competition for 2014. Now in its fourth year, the Public Fellows program aims to expand the influence of humanities training in society by placing recent doctorates in two-year, paid positions at non-profit organizations and government agencies. The ACLS and a number of its member societies, including the AHA, have been working to broaden the career horizons of highly-trained humanists.
Since 2010, the program has expanded since its first year from eight fellows to twenty, as proposals from prospective partner organizations and applications from doctorates seeking to build their careers have risen dramatically. The fellowships carry an annual stipend of $65,000 and health benefits.
More details and information on how to apply is available here. The application deadline is March 19, 2014.
Below is a list of public fellowship opportunities offered by various host institutions:
1. American Refugee Committee – Program Manager, Social Enterprise Projects
2. Association of Research Libraries – Program Officer for Scholarly Publishing
3. Center for Public Integrity – Engagement Analyst
4. Council of Independent Colleges – Communications Officer
5. Human Rights Campaign – Senior Content Manager
6. Kiva – Partnerships Evaluation Manager
7. Lenox Hill Neighborhood House – Research and Partnerships Manager
8. Museum of Jewish Heritage – Manager of Strategic Initiatives
9. National Constitution Center – Program Developer
10. New America Foundation – Contributing Editor
11. New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) – Public Policy Officer
12. The Public Theater – Strategy and Planning Manager
13. San Francisco Arts Commission – Program Manager, Policy and Evaluation
14. Smithsonian Institution, Grand Challenges Consortia – Public Outreach Manager
15. Smithsonian Institution, Office of International Relations – Program Officer
16. Trust for Public Land – Program Analyst, Conservation Research
17. United Negro College Fund – Policy Analyst
18. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Policy Analyst
19. Wisconsin Public Radio – Digital Producer, To the Best of Our Knowledge
20. Zócalo Public Square – Program Manager
The results of the past three competitions, which placed eight, 13, and 20 fellows, respectively, can be found online here.
This post first appeared on AHA Today.
Tags: AHA Today Employment & Careers
Please read our commenting and letters policy before submitting.