Awards and Honors to Be Conferred at the 122nd Annual Meeting
Award for Scholarly Distinction
- Martin Duberman, Distinguished Professor of History Emeritus, Lehman College and the Graduate School, City Univ. of New York
- Jack P. Greene, Andrew W. Mellon Professor Emeritus, Johns Hopkins Univ.
- Anne Firor Scott, W. K. Boyd Professor Emerita of History, Duke Univ.
Honorary Foreign Member
- João José Reis, Universidade Federal da Bahia, Brazil
Troyer Steele Anderson Prize
- Roy Rosenzweig*, George Mason Univ.
*The Troyer Steele Anderson Prize was awarded to Roy Rosenzweig before he died on October 11, 2007. It will be now be conferred posthumously at the annual meeting.
Theodore Roosevelt-Woodrow Wilson Award
- Richard Moe, National Trust for Historic Preservation
Beveridge Family Teaching Prize
- The Civics Team at Little Rock Central High School, Arkansas (Mike Johnson, Adam Kirby, Cynthia Mahomes, Keith Richardson, Rachel Rigsby, April Rike, Sarah Schutte, Kirby Shofner, George West, and Stan Williams).
William Gilbert Award
- Sam Wineburg, Susan Mosborg, Dan Porat, and Ariel Duncan, for their article, "Common Belief and the Cultural Curriculum: An Intergenerational Study of Historical Consciousness," American Educational Research Journal, 44:1 (March 2007), 40–76
Nancy L. Roelker Mentorship Award
- Christine Hayes, Poudre High School, Fort Collins, Colorado
John E. O’Connor Film Award
- Sacco and Vanzetti (Willow Pond Films, 2007) director and producer: Peter Miller, editor and producer: Amy Carey Linton
Herbert Baxter Adams Prize
- Francine Hirsch, Empire of Nations: Ethnographic Knowledge and the Making of the Soviet Union, Cornell Univ. Press, 2005
George Louis Beer Prize
- J. P. Daughton, An Empire Divided: Religion, Republicanism, and the Making of French Colonialism, 1880–1914, Oxford Univ. Press, 2006
Albert J. Beveridge Award
- Allan M. Brandt, The Cigarette Century: The Rise, Fall, and Deadly Persistence of the Product that Defined America, Basic Books, 2007
James Henry Breasted Prize
- John Matthews, The Journey of Theophanes: Travel, Business, and Daily Life in the Roman East, Yale Univ. Press, 2006
John H. Dunning Prize
- Linda Nash, Inescapable Ecologies: A History of Environment, Disease, and Knowledge, Univ. of California Press, 2007
John E. Fagg Prize
- Sabine MacCormack, On the Wings of Time: Rome, the Incas, Spain, and Peru, Princeton Univ. Press, 2006
John K. Fairbank Prize in East Asian History
- Eugenia Lean, Public Passions: The Trial of Shi Jianqiao and the rise of Popular Sympathy in Republican China, Univ. of California Press, 2007
Morris D. Forkosch Prize
- Deborah Cohen, Household Gods: The British and Their Possessions, Yale Univ. Press, 2006
Leo Gershoy Award
- Richard B. Sher, The Enlightenment and the Book: Scottish Authors and Their Publishers in Eighteenth-Century Britain, Ireland, and America, Univ. of Chicago Press, 2006
Joan Kelly Memorial Prize in Women’s History
- Mrinalini Sinha, Specters of Mother India: The Global Restructuring of an Empire, Duke Univ. Press, 2006
- Dalia Tsuk Mitchell, Architect of Justice: Felix S. Cohen and the Founding of Americam Legal Pluralism, Cornell Univ. Press, 2006
J. Russell Major Prize
- Martha Hanna, Your Death Would Be Mine: Paul and Marie Pireaud in the Great War, Harvard Univ. Press, 2006
Helen and Howard R. Marraro Prize
- John A. Davis, Naples and Napoleon: Southern Italy and the European Revolutions, 1780–1860, Oxford Univ. Press, 2006
George L. Mosse Prize
- David Blackbourn, The Conquest of Nature: Water, Landscape, and the Making of Modern Germany, W.W. Norton, 2006
James A. Rawley Prize in Atlantic History
- Sabine MacCormack, On the Wings of Time: Rome, the Incas, Spain, and Peru, Princeton Univ. Press (2006)
- Rosanne Marion Adderley, "New Negroes from Africa": Slave Trade Abolition and Free African Settlement in the Nineteenth-Century Caribbean, Indiana Univ. Press, 2006
- Sylviane A. Diouf, Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America, Oxford Univ. Press, 2006
The Eugene Asher Distinguished Teaching Award will not be awarded this year. The winner of the Herbert Feis Award will be announced in the December 2007 issue of Perspectives.
Tags: Annual Meeting Annual Meeting through 2010
Please read our commenting and letters policy before submitting.