Building a Workable Peace
By Phillips Bradley,
Director of Research, New York State School of Industrial & Labor
Relations and Professor, Queens College (NY)
Why Do We Need A World
- Another chance and another try
- Charter of the United Nations
What Lay Behind
the San Francisco Conference?
What Were the Problems
Faced at San Francisco?
- The big nations and the small ones
- The need for speed
- Dependent areas
- Economic and social issues
Was Set Up At San Francisco?
- The six chief organs
- How can a state become a member?
- Can a member resign or be expelled?
- May a state have more than one vote?
What Are the Functions
of the General Assembly?
- Can the General Assembly act on a dispute?
- Can the Assembly pass international legislation?
What Is the Economic
and Social Council?
- What will the Economic and Social Council do?
- Helping hands
- Others, old and new
- How do these agencies help maintain peace?
What Is the Trusteeship
System for Dependent Areas?
- What will the Trusteeship Council do?
- What are the Charter's colonial principles?
- Are these principles workable?
Do We Need an International
How Does the Charter
Promote the Rule of Law?
- How will the new World Court operate?
- What law will the Court apply?
- Do we need a code o f world law?
- Does the Charter write a code o f law?
- Is the legal obligation o f the Charter effective?
What Are the Charter
Provisions for Preventing War?
- How is the Security Council organized?
- What are the Security Council's functions?
- What machinery is there for peaceful settlement?
- How will this machinery work?
- What if war threatens?
- How will economic sanctions be applied?
- Military sanctions-what are they?
- How will military sanctions be applied?
How Do Regional
Systems Fit into the Charter?
How Will the Security
- Is the veto a necessary part o f the charter?
- Does the veto power make the Charter ineffective?
- Will mobilized world opinion be effective?
What Is America's
Stake in the Charter?
- What about our influence in world affairs?
- Is the Charter perfect?
- Can it be improved?