Shall I Go Back to School?
George Bliss, 21, left college to join the Army. Now he is back at college after an absence of 18 months. After his discharge, Bliss went to the Veterans Administration for advice. They helped him enroll at a leading college. Here he is studying business administration and will graduate in 1947 with a Bachelor of Science degree. Bliss is married and lives in Mount Vernon, New York. His wife has a job as secretary to the principal of the local high school. He gets a subsistence allowance of $75 a month from the government, plus his college tuition under the GI Bill of Rights.
COLLEGE ways were hard to get used to at first—then easy.
7. WEATHER under control shows what temperature does to growth.
1. MARINE Hobble served in the South Pacific and was disabled.
2. CIVILIAN Hobble decided that hewould enter agricultural school.
1. CHAMPLIN between two basic training buddies at Fort Belvoir.
5. THE DEAN advises him on how to work out a schedule of classes.
7. WELCOMED back by his former teachers, he makes new friends.
2. PLAYING casino in the Italian battlefield-town of Cassino.
3. WOUNDED and hospitalized at Naples, he painted battle scenes.
4. HOME AGAIN with his family, he lives not far from art school.
6. POTTERY making is learned—under an instructor’s helpful eye.
10. AT HOME Champlin sketches Italian scenes from memory.
9. SKETCHING live models helps develop his skill with the pencil.
7. SHORTY’S disability doesn’t discourage him from keeping fit.
1. LECOUNT at home. His father works as draftsman at a war plant.
5. DRAFTING, the other, is his chief interest and life ambition.
CLERKING in a local grocery provides him with spending money.
10. HOMEWORK in drafting goes smoothly with his father’s help.
5. CLASSES in statistics tell how to handle and analyze figures.
6. FRIENDS made in college may last a man through his life.
l. PICTURE of Bliss on furlough when he was stationed at Ft. Bragg.
2. A VISIT to the Veterans Administration after his discharge.
9. RESEARCH. problems provide a basis for business employment.
10. SWIMMING is an enjoyable part of physical reconditioning.
3. EXPERT guidance and aptitude register for a tests help decide his future.
4. DECISION is to four-year course in university.
7. ECONOMIC geography is another essential subject to learn.
8. ANALYZING package design to learn the facts of selling Appeal.