Shall I Go Back to School?
Shorty Lecount, 20, of Floral Park, Long Island, is back in high school after 9 months’ service on a Navy transport in the South Pacific. He left school lacking only 2 credits for graduation. He is studying American history and mechanical drawing to get his diploma. While in the Navy, LeCount could have studied American history through the correspondence or self-teaching courses of the United States Armed Forces Institute, whose headquarters are at Madison, Wisconsin. He could also have submitted his boot training to be considered for credit toward his graduation. The high school might have awarded a diploma while he was in the service. When he does graduate, LeCount plans to go to college, eventually become a draftsman like his father. The GI Bill of Rights will help pay for his college education.
COLLEGE ways were hard to get used to at first—then easy.
7. WEATHER under control shows what temperature does to growth.
5. THE DEAN advises him on how to work out a schedule of classes.
7. WELCOMED back by his former teachers, he makes new friends.
2. PLAYING casino in the Italian battlefield-town of Cassino.
3. WOUNDED and hospitalized at Naples, he painted battle scenes.
4. HOME AGAIN with his family, he lives not far from art school.
6. POTTERY making is learned—under an instructor’s helpful eye.
10. AT HOME Champlin sketches Italian scenes from memory.
9. SKETCHING live models helps develop his skill with the pencil.
7. SHORTY’S disability doesn’t discourage him from keeping fit.
1. LECOUNT at home. His father works as draftsman at a war plant.
5. DRAFTING, the other, is his chief interest and life ambition.
CLERKING in a local grocery provides him with spending money.
10. HOMEWORK in drafting goes smoothly with his father’s help.
5. CLASSES in statistics tell how to handle and analyze figures.
6. FRIENDS made in college may last a man through his life.
l. PICTURE of Bliss on furlough when he was stationed at Ft. Bragg.
2. A VISIT to the Veterans Administration after his discharge.
9. RESEARCH. problems provide a basis for business employment.
10. SWIMMING is an enjoyable part of physical reconditioning.
3. EXPERT guidance and aptitude register for a tests help decide his future.
4. DECISION is to four-year course in university.
7. ECONOMIC geography is another essential subject to learn.
8. ANALYZING package design to learn the facts of selling Appeal.