Committee on Women Historians
The Committee on Women Historians (CWH) was organized in 1971 as a standing committee of the AHA. It arose out of recommendations contained in the 1970 report of a special ad hoc committee on the Status of Women. 5 members, including one graduate student
The committee meets twice a year by teleconference. Members serve for three-year terms, with new members added on a staggered yearly basis.
Mission: To advocate for the interests of women in the historical profession and within the American Historical Association; to advocate for women's and gender history; to foster an inclusive scholarship that challenges and transforms the practice of history, both substantively and methodologically.
- Leora Auslander, Univ. of Chicago, Chair
- Stephanie M. H. Camp, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
- Karen T. Leathem, Louisiana State Museum
- J. Michelle Molina, Northwestern Univ.
- Laura Rominger Porter, Univ. of Notre Dame
- Debbie Ann Doyle, Coordinator, Committees & Meetings
Documents and Reports
The Status of Women in the Historical Profession by Elizabeth Lunbeck, May 2005
Perspectives Articles of Interest
- The Status of Women and Minorities in the History Profession by Robert Townsend
- The Future of Feminist History by Susan Pedersen
- Do We Need a Spousal/Partner Hiring Policy? by Carla Hesse
- Survey on LGBTQ History Careers by Marc Stein
Report on the Status and Hiring of Women and Minority Historians in Academia, Fourth Edition Developed by the AHA's Committee on Women Historians and approved by the Council, the guidelines in this report provide statistics on appointments, tenure, and promotion. This edition also discusses salary issues and the status of minority women and men.
Coalitions of the Imagination by Alice Kessler Harris
The Future of Feminist History by Susan Pedersen
Has the Battle Been Won? The Feminization of History by Lynn Hunt
Coordinating Council for Women in History (CCWH)
Web site: http://www.theccwh.org
Organization of American Historians – Committee on the Status of Women in the Historical Profession
Web site: http://www.oah.org/activities/committees/women/index.html
Last Updated: March 22, 2013 7:28 PM