Resources for Graduate Students
Graduate Students have long been an essential part of the Association's membership, and currently comprise almost 15 percent of our membership. The Association provides subsidized membership to graduate students as well as research grants to support their work. The AHA also offers discounted membership to early career professionals for the first three years after leaving the student membership category. This page provides links to the most popular resources the Association has prepared or found for graduate students at every stage in their studies and for early career professionals.
The permanent Graduate and Early Career Committee provides a voice within the Association for graduate students and historians early in their careers, and serves as a venue to discuss issues of concern and interest to students and early career professionals.
The AHA's Advisory Committee on Disability is establishing a mentoring program in which graduate students doing work in disability or related historical fields will be mates with established faculty mentors. Click here to apply to be a mentor or mentee.
Below is a list of books for purchase either through Amazon or the AHA website which are relevant to graduate students:
- From Concept to Completion by the AHA Graduate and Early Career Committee
- Becoming a Historian: A Survival Manual by Melanie Gustafson
- Perspectives on Life after a History Ph.D. edited by Richard Bond and Pillarisetti Sudhir
- The Education of Historians for the Twenty-first Century by Thomas Bender, Philip Katz, and Colin Palmer
- Retrieving the Master’s Degree from the Dustbin of History by David Trask
- Perspectives Articles on Graduate Student Issues and Concerns
- Staying on Course: Mutual Roles and Responsibilities in the Graduate School Experience (PDF)
- Getting an Academic Job: in History by Dana M. Polanichka
Links to More Resources
- Cornell Graduate School, Fellowship Database
- The National Association of Graduate and Professional Students
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Association for the Support of Graduate Students
- Workplace: The Journal for Academic Labor
- Mentoring tool kit - Created by the Southern Association for Women Historians.
- Committee on Women Historians
- Committee on Minority Historians
- Resources for Teachers at All Levels